[ale] Linux configuration management (validation)?

Beddingfield, Allen allen at ua.edu
Tue Oct 14 09:42:14 EDT 2014

Keep in mind that my experience is with SUSE Manager and Satellite Server, but with both of those, you can do the following:
1.  Pull in patches/patch servers
2.  Deploy RPMs
3.  Put particular config files under management, based on "config channels"
3.  Remotely execute commands for a single system or a group of them
4.  It can also handle kickstart, etc..
We used to use Novell's ZLM, which was horrible, but it had a feature that is lacking in others that I have seen:  A centralized scheduler.  For example, instead of using cron, I could schedule jobs remotely for each system.  Now, I drop files into /etc/cron.d and manage them

Allen B.
--
Allen Beddingfield
Systems Engineer