[ale] Nmap host up/down status

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Oct 10 16:34:27 EDT 2014

Nmap is not providing an exit code on failure. The doc confirm this. I'll just need to capture the output and parse that. No problem.

[root at test]# time nmap -sn -PE -PP -PM -PO -n 10.139.128.170 2>&1 >/dev/null; echo $?
real 0m 3.05s
user 0m 0.01s
sys 0m 0.02s
0
[root at test]# time nmap -sn -PE -PP -PM -PO -n 127.0.0.1 2>&1 >/dev/null; echo $?
real 0m 0.02s
user 0m 0.00s
sys 0m 0.01s
0