[ale] Nmap host up/down status

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Fri Oct 10 15:53:14 EDT 2014

I have a script I use in Perl that tests a list of hosts via the exit code of ping. Some hosts, like Winders, will ignore ICMP ECHO and this creates
false alerts.

The idea popped in my head today to use the exit code of nmap and allow it to test for me.

Can someone clue me in on the best command like options to nmap that will allow it to make a decent determination of a host is up?

I did think about running an initial port scan and then doing an accept() test on a TCP socket, but then I decided maybe I'd just let nmap make
the up/down decision.

Chris