[ale] {Disarmed} Re: {Disarmed} Fwd: Under Attack, my dns servers

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue Oct 7 10:16:25 EDT 2014

On 10/07/2014 09:43 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 10/07/2014 08:22 AM, JD wrote:
>> I'd be happy if they stopped polluting the wifi spectrum by using channels
>> besides 1, 6, 11 - especially in single-family residential areas.  Sure, in
>> condos and apartments, it may be the best choice available to use the
>> overlapping channels 2-5, 7-10, but certainly not in the suburbs.
> not sure I understand the issue... my wife always complains that she
> only has 2 bars, or her Ipad always has connect issues, when she sits
> about 20 feet from the router..

In the USA, there are 11 wifi channels on 2.4Ghz.  Only channels 1, 6, 11 do not
overlap.  Selecting ANY other legal channels dips into nearby channels, reduces
bandwidth and adds to interference.
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2010/11/22/recheck-wifi-channel-every-year
explains.

WiFi Security Checklist: http://blog.jdpfu.com/pages/wifi-security

>> BTW, in a prior job, I worked with DSL techs across the SE. Don't know if they
>> know IPv6, but AT&T didn't always support DSL either. It takes time to roll that
>> knowledge out, but eventually it becomes core.  Just like I don't know much
>> about practical IPv6 (I just blacklist it now).  When I need it, I'll learn it.
> they kept saying hurry up, hurry up, we have no more IPv4... but nothing
> happened, and we still have no IPv6 support.

Perhaps the NSA has quietly requested they don't roll it out to all the
DSL/Cable companies?  Too hard to scan the entire internet then, whereas today
they can scan the entire address space daily.