[ale] Slackware 12.0 installation scripts

David S Jackson deepbsd.ale at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 14:22:54 EDT 2014

Hi,

I have a pet Slackware box (athlon 3.6 now) that I've been nursing along
recently. It was last upgraded in 2005 (Slack 10.0 I think).  I've had
to replace/rebuild a bunch of things, but finally (up through Slack
11.0), I was making the jump from Slack 11.0 to Slack 12.0, which was
the first 2.6 kernel, pretty big xorg change, etc etc.  And I had a
problem.  The /usr partition filled up sometime during the installation
(old 80G drive, 9G /usr partition).

I don't really know at what point the partition filled up, but the
installation scripts just kept chugging away like nothing was wrong.
Kinda weird.   (I was checking on another tty.)  I know I had gotten
through the first few directories, so we might have been into the x and
xap series, perhaps.  But I had rebooted a new 2.6.18 smp huge kernel
prior to this part of the upgrade, so at least that was working.

So I fixed the /usr problem (housekeeping in /usr/local).  I fixed the
*.new scripts in /etc.  But now I don't know how to check for what's
still broke and what ain't before the reboot.  And I'd like to see what
didn't install and what did.  I reran the upgradepkg --install-new
scripts and they didn't find anything not installed.  But I question
them.  Those scripts apparently weren't smart enough to stop when they
were installing onto a full /usr partition, so how can I trust them to
know whether they were successful or not?  Can a package appear to be
installed in /var/log/packages yet not really be completely installed
properly on a Slackware box?  I'd like to know before I reboot.  :-)

For all you Slackware guru's and others,, what's the best way to
approach this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Dave