[ale] OT (?) - Google Fiber in metro ATL (redux)

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Nov 21 15:54:17 EST 2014

On 2014-11-21 12:45, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Jason Hughes" <jason.hughes at linuxmail.org> writes:
>
>> I wonder why AT&T customers appear thrilled while only getting 25% of
>> the bandwidth they're paying for:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjCFYlK44g
>
> Because even 25% of their bandwidth is 10x faster than the alternatives?
>
> -derek

I haven't had a problem getting full bandwidth out of my connection with
AT&T.  I've moved two times in the last four years and had AT&T in all
three locations.  Every time it gets reinstalled I use kernel.org as my
download test and I max out the connection (35 Mbps) every time.
They've also been responsive about removing the port filters which get
reactivated each time I move (e.g. port 25 SMTP)

My main problem has been the quality of their first-string techs.  The
very first install when I signed up they sent a guy that had been a Bell
lineman for 30 years.  Everything was up and running in no time.  Fast
forward a couple years and I was having to explain why splitting pairs
of a set of twisted pair wires was not such a good idea.