[ale] I saw the magic smoke escape!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 13:23:12 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ouch. Sounds like maybe a Tantalum cap (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tantalum_capacitor ) ?

Quite likely. There was a remaining blob of metal surrounded by scorched
epoxy and smoke stains. The blob is the right size for a T-cap.

> -- CHS
>

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 12:58 PM, Boris Borisov <bugyatl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Other damage...
>>

>> On Tuesday, November 18, 2014, Jim Kinney <jim.kinney at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It was preceded by a flash of magic arc then a sustained burst of magic
>>> fire.
>>>
>>> By then I had yanked the power cord. The now unidentifiable component
>>> that spectacularly failed had turned to a glowing slag ember. I had no idea
>>> solder could get yellow hot without just puddling in the bottom of the case.
>>>
>>> A video card failed and burned out the power supply.  No obvious
>>> evidence of the failure of the video card but the power supply was
>>> completely dead. New on was 100W bigger. That was enough to turn the failed
>>> component on the video card into a light bulb.
>>>
>>> Fun!
>>>

>> --
>> Sent from Gmail Mobile

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*