[ale] Android certificates without screen lock?

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Mon Nov 17 22:57:31 EST 2014

Hi,

On Mon, November 17, 2014 10:26 pm, Alex Carver wrote:
> Anyone know how to install a user certificate on KitKat without
> requiring a screen lock?  My Google-fu is failing and every time I try
> to install the certificate I'm asked to activate a screen lock
> PIN/password.
>
> I'm trying to upload a self-signed certificate for my mail server.

Are you actually trying to install a *USER* certificate and not a *SERVER*
certificate?  Why would you have a self-signed user certificate?  How
would the server verify that?!?

But no, on Android you cannot install a *user* certificate without a PIN,
because it uses the PIN to turn on the system keystore.

For a server certificate you can just tell android to accept it when you
connect and it will remember it.

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745