[ale] What to do about non-cooperative SMARTD drive?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Mon Nov 17 13:24:04 EST 2014

Thanks for the reply.   Yes, I am the king of lazytown w.r.t. desktop
support around the house, but can readily by a new drive and I thought
these days retail drives had OEM utilities to replicate.   So, yes, If I
truly hafta, I'll spend the time to rip it apart and replace.

No, I haven't been able to run a smard test - that's the whole point -
it refuses and says that is not implemented.    I've never seen that
before on a modern SATA drive, and smartd is turned on at the bios, so
I'm wondering if the drive firmware has gone slightly bonkers and might
go over the edge suddenly and refuse to talk at all.   Hence I seek the
collective wisdom of ale.