[ale] Parental Controls

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 10:42:14 EST 2014

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 10:35 AM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 11/12/2014 10:03 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Setup hosts file with name and IP of required remote systems. Disable DNS
> > caching. Set DNS to bogus IP. Print sign that reads "Unauthorized access
> will
> > result in termination" and tape it so they have to move it to see the
> screen.
>
> Until someone is actually terminated, they won't believe it.  I've seen
> this
> aspect before around GPS tracking of commercial vehicles. Idle threats
> don't
> work. Someone will need to be fired, escorted out in front of other
> employees.
>
> Either the owners and management want the systems locked down or they do
> not.
> Best to find out how far they are willing to go before.

Agreed. I've setup a PC for open browsing in breakrooms that automatically
dump search history and caching on guest logout or screensaver (can't
recall details on that - should find out how and publish).

Another set of wording on the sign could be "This system is only for
processing shipping labels". With the locks on it, that's all it can do
anyway so the staff will porn surf and shop elsewhere.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*