[ale] too many logins

Todor Fassl fassl.tod at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:32:39 EST 2014

I have a problem in a lab I am responsible for. The lab has 7 debian
stable machines. Students log in to check mail, browse the web, etc. But
they frequently walk away without logging out. Soon enough, the screen
saver comes on and the next person sits down and logs in as another
user. Often, the first person comes back hours late or the next day and
logs in a second time. Some of these machines have the same user logged
in 5 or 6 times.

The problem is that some of these students start matlab, sage, or magma
jobs before they walk away from the workstation. Those are legitimate
jobs and should not be killed.  In fact, sometimes students ssh to these
machines and run computations. It's kind of a bad idea but I'd rather
not tell them not to do that. Otherwise, I'd just have the machines
reboot themselves every  night.

We used to use a tool called timeoutd but it seems to have been removed
from the debian stable and ubuntu archives.  I was never able to get it
to work right anyway. Students would complain that their jobs had been
killed or that they were logged out while they were typing away. At the
same time, I could see that other users were still logged in after
days/weeks of inactivity. I am not sure the problem really was with
timeoutd because finger often gave me weird results.I'm not sure linux
was giving timeoutd correct data to work with.