[ale] I didn't post this but I saw it happening

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue May 20 16:21:18 EDT 2014

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Beddingfield, Allen <allen at ua.edu> wrote:

> We were all here bright and early on Sunday morning to do our yearly DR
> failover exercise (failing to our colo site in Atlanta), and some optimist
> brought up that "it could be worse, we could be at Emory and actually
> having a disaster right now..."  Yeah, that didn't make me feel any more
> awake at 7:00 on a Sunday morning..lol
> So, how is the recovery from that going over there?

I am happily ignorant of the scope of the mess. All of my stuff runs Linux
and Emory UTS is not allowed to even look in the direction of the cabinets!

Payroll systems were wiped out as was everything in the library and most
smaller departments that don't have dedicated support staff.

I saw the notice the following Monday and burst out laughing. I was in the
building with payroll staff and was informed they got wiped out. My humour
vanished rather quickly. At this point all servers are back and all
desktops are working but all files from the day of the wipe are likely gone
as the re-image happened before/during backups.

I'm glad I don't work with that bunch.