[ale] keeping an antique running for another 3 months

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri May 16 13:29:39 EDT 2014

fedup is your friend. update that ancient beast!

sounds like those files are links to each other. Thus no actual file. run
locate xpcon

run fedup too. ancient fedora is a security deathtrap.

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 1:23 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Running an out-of-date Fedora.
>
> Trying to update Firefox as more and more web sites are whining about it.
>
> Down loaded current firefox and unpacked it into /home.
>
> When I try to run the executable, I get this error:
>
> XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/kilpatms/Downloads/firefox/libxul.so:
>
> libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> Couldn't load XPCOM.
>
> So, not having any idea what a GlueLoad error might be, I made a link to
> /usr/bin/libdbus-glib-1.so.2, which itself is a link to
> libddbus-glib-.so.2.1.0, which is an older and smaller file.
>
> I have no idea what XPCOM might be; it resides in
> /usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules but an <ls> also shows this:
>
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 5 May 16 12:47 XPCOM -> XPCOM
>
> where the two XPCOM are oddly marked: the first is red letters on black
> background and the second is blinking white on a red background. I have no
> idea what that is trying to tell me.
>
> In the same directory is the file XPCOMUtils.jsm. So I tried to make a
> link to that file but that didn't work:
>
> [root at Sarge firefox]# ln -s XPCOMUtils.jsm
> usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm
>
> ln: creating symbolic link
> `usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm': No such file or
> directory
>
> I am somewhat confused. That file has been sitting in that directory since
> the system was first booted. All 12k of it.
>
> I'd stop now and have a beer, but it is too early in the afternoon.
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*