[ale] Virtual machine

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Mon May 12 12:20:17 EDT 2014

There are 2 ways main ways to backup virtual machines.
* using the VM "export" tool built-into Vbox
* from inside the VM, using nominal backup methods

Backing up VM files from outside the VM has some issues, though converting a 50G
backup into an 18G restore is not something I expected.

Exporting a VM is more like taking an image backup - usually not very efficient.
For Windows VMs a VM export really is the only way I know to do this. The backup
tools for Windows have never worked well for me, at least the free ones.  Data
backups are all I can do on Windows - that an keeping the installed files to a
minimum (I try to only use ninite install packages) to keep rebuilds simple.
Program settings maintained inside Windows "special locations" has never
suported restores for me - it is maddening that we cannot easily migrate a Media
Center install/settings to a new host.