[ale] Questions about all things USB

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Tue May 6 07:36:22 EDT 2014

On 05/05/2014 09:06 PM, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> what do you do with an HDHR3 ?? is that used to make a home DVR box??

They are a network-based tuner.  ATSC broadcasts and ClearQAM.

> I have Uverse and their DVR box, but it isn't enough space for me:)

Won't work with DRM-heavy U-verse.  My friends that have u-verse use a Collossus
card http://hauppauge.com/site/products/data_colossus.html or Hauppauge 1212
devices. U-verse is just a tuner/channel changer for them. I don't think either
of those devices have NTSC capabilities - component-in only.

I own a Hauppauge 1512 which does HDMI or component-in video, but it does NOT
work on Linux. :(

There are $50 SD PVR/DVRs from China on Amazon now - just add storage.  The
reviews are mixed. I'd bet they run Linux. ;)

"Sandisk V-mate Digital Video Recorder"
"Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx"
are examples. I've never tried either, but have a friend with the Mediasonic ...
she's never set it up.