[ale] Questions about all things USB

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Mon May 5 18:50:44 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-05 15:19, JD wrote:
> On 05/05/2014 04:59 PM, Chuck Payne wrote:
>> Guys,
>>
>> Hey, I have a couple questions. I am looking for two thing
>>
>> 1) A HD USB TV Tuner
>> 2) A USB Video Adapter
>>
>> I know the second might be the hardest to find. I am asking because of
>> the wisdom I don't get from Google.
>>

> I'd highly, highly, highly recommend staying away from USB TV tuners. Get a
> HDHomeRun model that fits your needs. I have (2) HDHR3s and LOVE them. These are
> network-based tuners and well supported by Linux.  Plus, you can run the TV
> recording OS inside a virtual machine - so no need to have dedicated hardware
> just for that.

He can only use the HDHR's if he has no need for analog input.  The
HDHR's have only the ATSC/QAM tuner.  There is no NTSC or other analog
inputs (composite, component, S-video, analog antenna).

The only decent tuner on the market that has an analog input is the
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR supported by Linux but it is USB only.  Their only
networked tuner is the Broadway which isn't supported (though apparently
the OpenWRT people have managed to install their own OS on it).