[ale] PostgreSQL question

Scott Plante splante at insightsys.com
Tue Mar 25 17:37:45 EDT 2014

We use Slony for replication, and route all writes to the master. We are able to tell a given box in our application to stop taking new connections but continue processing existing ones. New connections are then routed to other boxes. Once all existing connections have finished, we can do maintenance/upgrades on that box, bring it back up, and continue the process with another box.

This particular application is architected such that updates on each box are written to a queue, which is processed on the master and written to the database.

Scott