[ale] End of XP

Jason van Gumster jason at handturkeystudios.com
Fri Mar 21 22:11:11 EDT 2014

Greg Clifton <gccfof5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jim, your point is to "make a clean break" so they KNOW they are living in
> a better world as it were? I can see merit to that approach, especially
> when trying to create "Linux Evangilists," but sometimes it is "hard to
> teach old dogs new tricks."

It's not just about evangelism or "living in a better world." It's about
tempering expectations. Regardless of the familiar/sexy skin you put on it,
some things are simply handled differently in Linux. If *everything* is
different, you can avoid help desk scenarios where a person tries to go about
doing something "the other way" and getting monumentally frustrated because
they don't see that familiar thing that they expect to see.

Sure, there's likely to be greater up-front resistance, but I daresay that
putting users in an interface uncanny valley will give you greater headaches.

  -Jason