[ale] broadband ISP

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Mar 19 14:20:40 EDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-03-18 at 15:01 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 03/18/2014 12:57 PM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> > I'm with AT&T UVerse and my son, Scott, is with Comcast.  AT&T pissed me
> > off the other day when protocol 41 (IPv6) stopped working after a
> > gateway update but I think that's because they're preparing to support
> > IPv6 natively (What was that?  The sound of Jingle Bells in Hell???).
> > So I just had to encrypt the tunnel.  The technician I talked to even
> > mentioned that my RG (Residential Gateway) was out of day and shipped me
> > a new one.  No big deal.  Nothing to do with Linux.  Both are completely
> > Linux compatible.

> I was just thinking about IPv6.. saw a webinar coming up. I checked and
> my Uverse web site says it supports IPv6, but when I ran the test, it
> said my modem doesn't support it, it needs new firmware which has not
> been pushed out yet..

The irony is that, if your firmware doesn't support it yet, you can set
it up for yourself using standard SIT (Six In Tunnel - IP protocol 41)
tunnels to tunnel brokers like Hurricane Electric, GogoSix, Occaid, or
SixXs very easily.

If you're firmware DOES support it, they don't yet offer it but the new
firmware breaks IP protocol 41 which breaks the simple SIT tunnels and
you have to resort to something else.

Lovely...  If they don't support it, you can get it easy.  If they
support it, they break shit but still won't provide it.

I resorted to IPSec tunnels (IP protocols 50/51) to my personal tunnel
anchor at Xilogix (now Colobox) where I anchor connections to HE and
Occaid.