[ale] Blacklisted?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 17:39:59 EDT 2014

Pictures taken on a trip to a country they don't like/approve of?

I can see a DoS happening by 'borrowing" a domain through a DNS redirect
then sending buckets of spam and crud to get that site blocked. Now drop
the DNS spoof/redirect and legit site is blocked.
Can be done with an IP that is "close" when a legit site has a block of IPs
as a sloppy network admin blocks a bigger subnet.

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 5:27 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> >> How are you blacklisted?
> >> * email
> >> * web traffic
> >> * all ports blocked by ISPs
> >

> >> I am not talking web site, just my own domain email account gets
> >> blocked by... aol, att, yahoo..
> > I email tech support, they reply " it may take 24-48 hours to unblock"...
> >  then it happens again next month.
>
> And you are certain that you and any email gateway are not spamming?
>
> I have a domain that was blocked by bellsouth.net - cannot send any email
> there
> and can't get off their list. Not blocked sending anywhere else that I
> know. No
> gateway server involved.  The sad thing is that THEY started it.  A
> friend's
> account got hacked and spammed me. I replied to let him know (attaching the
> original message). From that point, my domain has been blocked.  That was
> about
> 2 yrs ago.
>
> Since then I've implemented dynamic spam blocking services - from time to
> time
> yahoo and gmail get caught spamming, so that specific remote server is
> blocked.
> 1and1 gateway email servers seem to be constantly blocked too - appears
> they
> allow emails that appear to be spam way to much from their clients.
>
> My personal domain is blocked by some ISPs and countries for web traffic
> only.
> Don't know why.  I've been places where I couldn't get to my website, but
> didn't
> have any issue connecting via SSH using the domainname or sending/receiving
> emails.  Tried http using the IP too - blocked. Thailand was the last
> country
> that happened, but from 3 other countries in the region, nothing was
> blocked.
> Friends in Europe and the middle east have been blocked too.  Don't know
> why.  I
> don't think there is any R-rated content on the website.
>
> Ideas?

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*