[ale] Hardware RAID5 recovery in software

Dustin Strickland dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 02:01:22 EDT 2014

Jesus, I've been short of time lately... I didn't realize that it's
been a whole week since I was able to check up on this. Anyway, I can't
try anything else as it's out of my hands now, but I tried everything I
could think of. Unfortunately, I couldn't recover anything.

As per Jim's suggestion, I tried swapping out the logic board in the
bad drive, which had no effect. Before and after, it would only read
153MB of data from the drive - I thought it to be a bad head, which I
confirmed by spinning up the drive with the top cover off(mostly for my
amusement; I wouldn't have done it if I wasn't totally sure the drive
was bad).

Raidextract failed to produce anything useful. When I ran it,
regardless of the settings I used it only produced errors about parity
mismatches. After looking into it a bit more, it seemed like the array
had been running in degraded mode for several months before anyone
noticed a problem, and that my client(a Windows IT admin) had tried to
fix it previously and neglected to inform me of what he had done. This
was the worst-case scenario.