[ale] Just Discovered ALE

Jeremy T. Bouse Jeremy.Bouse at UnderGrid.net
Mon Mar 10 18:43:56 EDT 2014

On 03/09/2014 10:19 PM, Gregory Beyer wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I just discovered ALE, so am stoked about meeting fellow tux-heads in
> person rather than just on forums -- and learning about Duplicity to
> boot!
>
> I've been Ubuntu, then Mint since Vista ticked me off, & never went
> back.  Now I'm up against a new nemesis on a new laptop -  EFI.   I'm
> struggling with my Mint16 install, now a week without a running
> installation (just live USB booting) despite extensive forums searches
> on my problems.
>
> I've disabled fast boot & secure boot, installation goes without a
> hitch, but I get nothing but error messages when I pull the USB and
> try to boot from disk.   Tried fstab changes with no joy. Tried
> boot-repair, too.
>
> If I bring my laptop on Thursday, might I trouble someone to look at
> what's happening (not!) at boot?
>
> I cringe at being that guy that shows up for the first time and asks
> for help, but that's the timing that a motherboard death has forced on me.
>
> Thanks so much,
>
> Greg

    I actually just installed my new work laptop (Dell Latitude E7240)
with Debian using EFI. This was actually my first installation with
grub-efi and it worked rather smoothly for me. I actually had more
problems from the NIC driver and X11 setup than I did EFI.

    Regards,
    Jeremy