[ale] Samba - external LDAP

Hendry, Chris Chris.Hendry at turner.com
Sat Jun 28 16:48:22 EDT 2014

I'm trying to set up a SAMBA share using an external LDAP server for authentication that I have no control over.

I do not have any admin abilities on the LDAP server, only need read ability.

Cannot set smbpasswd -w <admin password>, thus get in log:

failed to bind to server ldap://xxx-xxx.xxx.com/ with dn="cn=Manager,dc=xxx,dc=xxx,dc=com" Error: Invalid credentials

        (unknown)

Isn't there a way to set this up with READ-ONLY?
Examples on the internet only talk about where you have admin rights.

Thanks for any advise

Chris