[ale] CentOS 7 (Or: How I suck at Torrents)

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Tue Jun 17 18:30:23 EDT 2014

On 06/17/2014 01:23 PM, Jim Kinney wrote:
> There is no torrent available for the download. They use reposync.
> Once the initial repo pull is done it's like rsync, tiny.

I know that. I was talking about /creating/ one, for the RC repo they
have online.

> By using reposync, it'll setup your repodata correctly.

Yes, but they're not /updating/ the repo.  Right now, they're publishing
a whole-new-repo for every "build" of the nightly CentOS system.  They
are not gpg signing, and because they're whole-system, forced rebuilds,
the BuildID embedded in every ELF will change, meaning every RPM will be
different.  Meaning that the repo database will show that all packages
have changed and... reposync isn't any better than wget is at this
point.  :-)

My thinking was, other people might want to play with the prereleases.
I'm doing so because I simply mirrored the 6.5 GB repo and am using that
to install it on several systems in testing setups at the moment. (It
works rather nicely.)  I figure I can't be the only one to want that,
and since there is only a single point to mirror from, I thought it'd be
nice to establish a mirroring infrastructure for the RCs.

CentOS won't fan-out to mirrors until they are far more ready than they
are now.  I'd figure at least a couple weeks.

     --- Mike