[ale] Cheap laptops for Linux?

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Thu Jul 31 16:39:25 EDT 2014

Does anyone have a suggestion for finding a cheap, Linux capable laptop?
 I have been considering migrating my personal mail server over to a
small machine to make things quieter (loud fan and hard drive).  I was
originally thinking one of the Intel NUCs with an internal 2.5 HDD but
then I thought that an old laptop might do the same job for less than
the cost of a lower end NUC (seems to be running around $200 bare then
the HDD and RAM for another $100).

The machine I'm using now is a P-II in an ATX case with about 180MB of
RAM and 8 GB HDD.  It runs headless on a shelf.

The one advantage it does have is that it's also got two hard serial
ports (one for a label printer, one for a fax modem) and two parallel
ports (for my printer of course) so as long as that still works with
adapters of some form I'm ok.

I was also considering a NUC for a gateway/firewall but a laptop that
could support two NICs might work, too.  This is to beef up my current
solution which is an old Linksys WRT54G with OpenWRT.  Limited space
although it still works so it's not something that really *needs*
replacing but it would be easier to keep a regular OS up to date.