[ale] printer oddity

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 12:44:02 EDT 2014

That's the error code that says (once translated) "Time to spend another
chunk o' change on a printer. HP needs to boost it's bottom line again.".

Sounds like a board toasted that drives the print function.

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/kb/docDisplay/?sp4ts.oid=1140727&spf_p.tpst=kbDocDisplay&spf_p.prp_kbDocDisplay=wsrp-navigationalState%3DdocId%253Demr_na-c00660347-7%257CdocLocale%253D%257CcalledBy%253D&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken#N1131C

Another 79 error (different printer model) suggested to reset the system to
original factory settings. This was after unplugging it from everything and
letting it sit for 10 minutes. A reflash of the original firmware makes
sense. so does pulling the RAM out and trying the dimms one at a time. Also
try a print job from the USB port to isolate the network input.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 12:10 PM, Sean Kilpatrick <kilpatms at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have an HP 2605 networked printer.  It has been about as reliable as a
> stone ax for years.  All I have ever done is use high quality paper and
> replace the toner cartridges as needed.
>
> All of a sudden it stopped printing and is showing this message:
> "error 79. turn printer off and on.'
>
> Which doesn't clear the error.
>
> Googled my way to a discussion on just this error and found that all sorts
> of folks apparently have suddenly had this problem -- most of whom have
> recently installed a firmware upgrade.  I have not done that.
>
> One person with the same problem solved it by removing the extra 128mgb
> memory stick.  Tried that.  Didn't help.  Machine will boot to the "Ready"
> mode but will gag when trying to print.
>
> I really don't want to toss a printer with nearly $300 worth of fresh
> toner.  Clues would be appreciated.
>
> Sean

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*