[ale] sometimes you just need to reboot NOW!

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Wed Jul 30 10:28:07 EDT 2014

On Wed, 2014-07-30 at 09:28 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> Stupid power strip can only monitor power usage. Addressable pdu was seen
> as a waste of money. Sort of like cooling that shuts off and requires a
> manual reset when there's a power hiccup.

Ah, it's not the monitoring.  It's the ability to shoot the node in the
head and force him to reboot.  When all else fails, it's hard for a
server to resist the removal of primary power to the power supplies.  In
the past, I've always used X10 controllers as a poor man's PDU for
controlling power to my colo units.  Now, some relatively cheap web
controlled power strips have become available that, when combined with a
Raspberry Pi for access control and security, makes for a very powerful
management solution.

Corollary to that:  Have a maintenance / forensice CD or USB drive in
the system with serial consoles so you can intercept the boot process to
an assured safe media to repair possible damage.

Also...  Before doing a forced reboot, if you have ANY control at all,
sync and unmount your disks.  SysRQ - S and U