[ale] Centos

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jul 25 14:57:53 EDT 2014

XFS has been out of beta for 10 years. It's been an install option since
RHEL5.

XFS IS the default filesystem in RHEL7. So going with a default is the
better choice here.

XFS tools:
/sbin/fsck.xfs
/sbin/mkfs.xfs
/sbin/xfs_repair
/usr/sbin/xfs_admin
/usr/sbin/xfs_bmap
/usr/sbin/xfs_check
/usr/sbin/xfs_copy
/usr/sbin/xfs_db
/usr/sbin/xfs_estimate
/usr/sbin/xfs_freeze
/usr/sbin/xfs_fsr
/usr/sbin/xfs_growfs
/usr/sbin/xfs_info
/usr/sbin/xfs_io
/usr/sbin/xfs_logprint
/usr/sbin/xfs_mdrestore
/usr/sbin/xfs_metadump
/usr/sbin/xfs_mkfile
/usr/sbin/xfs_ncheck
/usr/sbin/xfs_quota
/usr/sbin/xfs_rtcp

EXT tools:
/sbin/badblocks
/sbin/debugfs
/sbin/dumpe2fs
/sbin/e2fsck
/sbin/e2image
/sbin/e2label
/sbin/e2undo
/sbin/fsck.ext2
/sbin/fsck.ext3
/sbin/fsck.ext4
/sbin/fsck.ext4dev
/sbin/logsave
/sbin/mke2fs
/sbin/mkfs.ext2
/sbin/mkfs.ext3
/sbin/mkfs.ext4
/sbin/mkfs.ext4dev
/sbin/resize2fs
/sbin/tune2fs
/usr/bin/chattr
/usr/bin/lsattr
/usr/sbin/e2freefrag
/usr/sbin/filefrag
/usr/sbin/mklost+found

They both have an extensive tool chain to do anything needed. They are
different in their operation and require some geektime to move between the
two of them. Over the last 10 years, I've had to get under the hood of both
extX and XFS for problems. Both were recovered. XFS was written at a time
when other filesystems were under-powered and too small for tossing around
multi-terrabyte files found in video production.

It works very well. It's not beta quality by any stretch of the
imagination. It's in production use in many, many locations, some of which
I manage. :-)

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 2:10 PM, JD <jdp at algoloma.com> wrote:

> On 07/25/2014 10:30 AM, Sean Kilpatrick wrote:
> > Thanks to both Jim and Allen.
> >
> > Next question:
> >
> > I'm about to replace an aging (5-year-old) 250 GB RAID-1 setup with an
> SSD
> > and 1 TB HD. Should I stay with ext4 or move on to a newer file system?
> >
> > I am NOT trying to start a flame war, just trying to cover my butt for
> the
> > next five years or so.
> >

> If your requirements for a file system has not changed and you don't have a
> specific reason to use something else, I'd stay with the default, tested,
> production-quality ext4.  I can't speak for anyone else, but my data is
> very
> important and I'd rather NOT be a beta tester without a really good reason.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*