[ale] Advice requested on samba solutions.

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jul 25 14:11:51 EDT 2014

On 07/25/2014 12:10 PM, Edward Holcroft wrote:
> I'd like to hear what happens with your shadow copy testing. I've been
> looking into it for my win2003 replacement on which we use Shadow Copy.
>
> How does btrfs relate to samba's vfs option?

There is a dedicated VFS that uses btrfs, included with Samba 4.1.0
<https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.1.0.html>.

>   I had not even thought of
> using btrfs on my servers. Thought it was still under development. Is it
> ready to deploy? If it offers an easier way to do something resembling
> shadow copy, I'm in. Since I'm just getting started, now would be the time
> for me to jump on board.

It's ready, AFAICT.  I've been using it in multiterabyte, multidevice
pools now for over a year with zero loss---and it's actually saved me
from multiday backup/restore cycles now more than once.

     --- Mike