[ale] Things I have learned about the HTC One m8

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Fri Jul 4 17:15:40 EDT 2014

On 2014-07-04 13:51, Charles Shapiro wrote:

> Android 4.4 apparently has disabled USB mass storage to the phone in favor
> of Microsoft's evil MTP protocol (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol ), designed mainly to
> facilitate DRM controls on your devices.  There may be a way around this.
> Linux MTP drivers are apparently buggy and troublesome. I need to do
> further research.

USB mass storage has been gone since Android Honeycomb (3.0).  UMS
doesn't support file systems greater than 4GB (which is pretty much all
phones after that point) and UMS didn't work well with Anroid 4.0's
unified file system (single partition rather than dual partitions).  So
they switched to MTP/PTP.