[ale] OT: HTML5 player

Boris Borisov bugyatl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 12:22:11 EDT 2014

I have slow 1 Ghz Eee PC with broken screen that I'm using for watching
online and offline content on TV. Apparently Flash is slow because video
card is not supported by flash player or does not have video acceleration
capabilities. To go around I have sometimes to download youtube content
with plugins (downloadhelper) or better way there is VLC based plugin that
www.veetle.com uses for HD play. So apparently there is enough CPU/video
power to work for video player even with decent resolutions.

All above is just blabbering :)

<rant>

I've tried to enable HTML5 player for mozilla browser in youtube. Result
were terrible. Why is the HTML5 player slower than Flash player. I though
that will be based on some open source video library which I know do play
well on this CPU/Video combo.

</rant>