[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

Jonathan Meek jonathan.l.meek at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 11:17:14 EST 2014

Leam,

The best thing I have found is checking the job description for the role
you are wanting to apply for and then look into said languages that the job
description has listed. Be able to write a basic program using the
language/tools that are listed in the job description. When I say a "basic
program" I mean the program should be able to do something other than just
print out HelloWorld. An example program could be something that prints out
the word "fizz" for every number that's a multiple of 3, prints out the
word "buzz" for every number that's a multiple of 5 & prints out the world
"fizzbuzz" for every number that's a multiple of 3 & 5.

Figure out what you believe are strengths and weakness with said
languages/tools. This helps in the interview process and lets the
interviewer know you are willing to learn.

Overall, a good understanding on the tools used with a programming language
(i.e. If one is using Java, then a good understanding of how to program
Java within the Eclipse IDE) works great and a knowledge of version control
system works helps.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan