[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

Rev. Johnny Healey rev.null at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 18:50:27 EST 2014

I wouldn't say that I compute big O for every function that I write, but
when I do need something that has to be low latency or working on a large
dataset, then it does become practical to start thinking about what data
structures will grant optimal performance and/or memory scalability. It's
also very useful to understand this terminology for discussing scalability
with coworkers. Telling someone that "the code now runs 10 times faster" is
not nearly as informative as saying "It was running in n squared time but
is now n log n".

I've found this particularly useful when trying to figure out why certain
non-trivial SQL joins behave poorly. Often huge gains can be achieved
without resorting to hackish things like indexing everything or
denormalization.

-Johnny