[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 27 13:07:39 EST 2014

On 01/27/2014 12:45 PM, leam hall wrote:
> Hey Chris, the sentence "The only other skills I'm interested in are
> check marks beside what I list as tools we use." sums up a lot of what
> I'm looking for. The personality and drive of an individual is
> critical. The question for those people is "what are those check
> marks?"

At my organization we use:

1.  MySQL
2.  Linux
3.  C & C++
4.  Perl
5.  Java
6.  HTML with Javascript

I think that covers many of the technologies I use.    When I'm looking
for some assistance I'm looking for someone that can work at some level
with those technologies.
For one role the Perl check mark may be the most important.  For another
it could be #5 & #6.

Writing code and building is more of a process and not automatic. I
think those that do not do it think it is automatic.  Being able to
figure things out goes a long way to make that process work well.

Chris