[ale] just thinking

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Mon Jan 27 13:05:23 EST 2014

On Mon, 2014-01-27 at 12:39 -0500, Jim Kinney wrote:
> The longer I use gnome, the more it just becomes a container for
> terminal sessions.

Very true...  My entire "Desktop 0" is nothing but terminal windows
scattered around 12 viewports (4 wide x 3 high 2d viewport geometry).  I
switch viewports depending on what domain and tasking the various
terminal windows are grouped into.  It's a workflow management thing.

Desktop 1 is for my web browsing and RSS feed readers.

Desktop 2 is for my E-Mail.  I'm currently typing on 2:0:0 where my root
evolution window lives.  If I'm interrupted, I move a message in
progress to another viewport and get it out of the way while I deal with
the interrupt.  This one does tend to get underutilized for the multiple
viewports.

Desktop 3 is for IM of various sorts (Pidgin in 3:0:0 for most but
terminal windows and IRC in some other viewports).

Desktop 4 is for Office utilities (Open Office), multimedia (graphics
work, audio, video editing, etc) and remote desktops (nx remote desktops
around the net).  OpenOffice is often open with multiple windows
(documents and spreadsheets) on 4:0:0 while Remmina and my various
remote desktops are homed off of 4:1:0 with some windows relocated to
other viewports depending on their group.

Desktop 5 is for anything that doesn't fit in the first 5 desktops.

6 active desktops that are each 4 viewports wide and 3 viewports high.
All hot key accessible.  That's my gold standard.  Try that with your
window manager.  Yeah, I'm ADHD on top of OCD and certifiable.

That's using XFCE with the e16 window manager.