[ale] [SEMI-OT] Skills for programmers/engineers?

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Jan 27 12:32:48 EST 2014

On 01/27/2014 09:03 AM, leam hall wrote:
> Not being a real programmer I'm trying to build my goal list and path.
> Have also seen others who are  needing the same information.
>
> Thoughts?

I look at none of your list when I interview people.  There are 3 things
I am most interested in.

1.  Are they a problem solver?
2.  Are they active in the "community?"
3.  What do they do during their spare time?

A wise man knows he knows nothing.  Is he able to figure something out?

If you are active in a community you are willing to work with others to
solve
problems.  You are willing to ask for help.  You are willing to Google
for suggestions.

The only other skills I'm interested in are check marks beside what I
list as tools we use.

The many years I've been doing this I've learned that many people lack
problem solving skills and
I need that capability over any other.  The ability to break problems
down to a simple form and rule out parts
that are not causing the problems.

Spare time is another important part.  I've seen people that like to be
pigeon hold.  They'll work 8-5, shut down, then watch TV till bed time.
Nothing wrong with that, it is just not the life for me.  I prefer 8-5,
shutdown work, go read something online, make something, figure
something out, tinker, etc.    The previous types are just not
interested as much in personal growth and what we do requires growth
till we stop doing it.

Just my thoughts...

Chris