[ale] SUSE Linux and repo confusion, may be repeat but please bear

James Taylor James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
Sun Jan 26 23:39:09 EST 2014

Regardless of how the  the image was generated, if It's SLES, you register the installation and it will automatically add the update repositories. You will need an activation code, though.
You have to purchase maintenance for that, or get an eval code.
FYI, the current release of SLES 11 is sp3, soon to be sp4.
Is the image a custom build intended to perform a specific role? Unless it's a intended to be a JEOS with it's own update support, you are probably better off installing from the iso.
If you're in a VM environment, the easiest thing to do is build templates for the specialized loads you want.  However, you still need to register to get updates to maintain the installations.
Some older openSUSE rpms are compatible with SLES, but if you are using SLES, I assume you need a supported OS. If that's the case, adding openSUSE rpms to the mix may be counterproductive.
-jt

James Taylor
678-697-9420
james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com

>>> "Narahari 'n' Savitha" <savithari at gmail.com> 1/26/2014 11:21 AM >>>
.raw files are file that SuseStudio generates that gets slapped on a
HardDrive so you dont have to go thru the installation process.  It is more
like a Vagrant box I guess.

All the machines in my office are auto enabled by SLES mechanism.

So there are not issues there.  How do you hunt for OpenSuse/SLES packages
that are compat and I am trying to find the idea here on how to get those
packages on the box.

-Narahari