[ale] Question about bind server behavior.

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sat Jan 25 16:07:52 EST 2014

On Sat, 2014-01-25 at 14:53 -0500, JD wrote:
> 1 of the 2 times a server I was responsible for got hacked was via bind.
> Being hacked teaches a bunch of lessons.
> * versioned backups!!  A mirror is NOT enough.

Periodic zone verification is also good.  Just to a zone transfer from
each of your exposed slaves and compare that to a pull from you're
master.

> * don't run services on the internet that aren't absolutely necessary
> * don't run bind without chroot, keep the authoritative server off the internet

Bzzt...  Wrong answer.  You have to have authoritative servers on the
internet, they just don't have to be the master authoritative server.
They can all be slaves off a private master.  Slaves and masters are all
"authoritative" for their respective zones.  Masters have the original
zone files while slaves pull their zone information from other
authoritative name servers (a master or other slaves).

Real life example.  I have three exposed authoritative name servers, all
of which pull from a private master in a secure manner.  I also get free
name server service from Hurricane Electric.  So, ns1.he.net pulls my
zone information as a slave from one of my three public name servers,
all of whom are slaves in turn.  Then ns[2345].het.net pull (slave) that
information from ns1.he.net.

So, ns[123].wittsend.com and ns[12345].he.net are all authoritative for
my zones and none of them are masters.  If you didn't have authoritative
name servers on the Internet, nobody could look you up.  You're thinking
of a "master" name server, not an "authoritative" name server.
Orthogonal attribute.