[ale] Memory buy of 2014!

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 10:27:43 EST 2014

I think old DDR chips are used in other applications than DIMM sticks. DDR2
is a much higher power envelope than DDR3 (all/most 1.5V and requires a
pretty high refresh rate). DDR is slower and smaller but has a much lower
power draw than either DDR3 or DDR2 so it's OK for embedded things.

The death of DDR2 is a good thing. A pair of older DDR2 servers can be
replaced with a single DDR3 system that runs on lower power. The hardware
cost is offset by the power/cooling savings over lifespan of the system (5
years).

Do more with less is usually a good thing.

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM, Jim Lynch <ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com>wrote:

> On 01/23/2014 07:22 AM, Jim Kinney wrote:
>
>> DDR2 is no longer in production so, yes, the price will do nothing but
>> climb.
>>
> I just purchased DDR for this old Dell for a fairly reasonable price.  1Gb
> for $25 from Crucial.  I wonder why they still make DDR and not DDR2?
>

> Jim.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*