[ale] thoughts on reducing Sync time for 2.6.32 System?

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Tue Jan 21 20:57:32 EST 2014

So, the context is a pair of new Dell 24 core servers installed this
year, running 2.6.32-431.1.2.0.1.el6.x86_64.

This replaced older Dell servers running I don't remember what.

Both old and new servers ran about 200,000 web service queries a day
using Tomcat6 and Progress OpenEdge.

The new servers, while faster at DB updates, will several times a month,
usually during prime high volumes in early afternoon, exhibit a period
of 3 seconds of all DB updates being frozen.   When we've chased it
down, it seems the DB has completed a checkpoint, and issued a sync call
afterwards, and that freezes everyone until it completes.

The older servers, while not as fast, didn't exhibit this behavior.

I may be wrong about the sync being the culprit; that's what the timings
in the DB logs seem to indicate.

Is there any tuning parameters which would affect the amount of time for
a sync to complete on a busy server?

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd.