[ale] wireless security

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 13:51:20 EST 2014

yes. hardware is a commitment. software is just a fling.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 11:35 AM, Dustin Strickland <
dustin.h.strickland at gmail.com> wrote:

> Absolutely -- as I like to say, hardware is a commitment. Always
> research the hardware, regardless of the device or its intended
> purpose. You should always know the capabilities of what you're giving
> your money away for.
>
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 11:20:03 -0500
> Chris Fowler <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> wrote:
>
> > On 01/15/2014 11:07 AM, Dustin Strickland wrote:
> > > I personally like the interface of DD-WRT and the services it
> > > offers(namely, being able to connect to it via SSH), but that's not
> > > why I use it. It has been, in my opinion, reasonably demonstrated
> > > that OEM router firmware is not to be trusted. Perhaps this isn't
> > > of concern to most people, but I don't like the idea of a TLA or
> > > even a mediocre script-kiddie being able to weasel their way into
> > > my router and compromise my network.
> > And DD-WRT can be flaky on certain hardware.  Do not buy just any old
> > router and install DD-WRT on it.  Do research first.

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*