[ale] telnets (secure telnet) anyone?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 14:48:10 EST 2014

perhaps they want to use stunnel to wrap telnet? It will do what they claim
and is part of RHEL6.

http://7thumbs.wordpress.com/2012/08/27/stunnel-sslifing-telnet/

That said, tell 'em to go get stuffed for using a boneheaded, bassackawards
solution to a common problem when a ready solution exists.

or maybe they could actually figure out _how_ to use putty on their winders
systems to tunnel into your server(s).

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 1:57 PM, Lightner, Jeff <JLightner at water.com> wrote:

>   First – Yes I know about ssh, wget, curl etc… so please don’t talk to
> me about them or why using one of those is a better idea – this isn’t my
> choice.
>

> The basic question:   Does anyone know about “telnets” NOT “telnet” and
> how to set it up on Linux (ideally specifically RHEL6) ?
>

> It appears from what little I’ve gleaned that telnets is a secure ssl way
> to run telnet.   The services file has port 992 for this as opposed to 23
> for regular telnet.
>

> Unfortunately web searches all seem to think I want to know about telnet
> so drop the s in searches for the most part and I’m finding very little on
> it anywhere.   It appears that **possibly** one can tell telnet (and
> presumably telnetd) to use port 992 but I’m not finding much on HOW to tell
> it to do that or how I would determine if a specific telnetd (or telnet
> command for that matter) supports this secure setup (i.e. ssl).  I know I
> can tell the telnet command itself to use port 992 with “telnet <host> 992”
> but don’t know if that would be sufficient for the client side and it still
> doesn’t tell me what should be on the server (i.e. telnetd) side.
>

> It’s also possible the 992 secure telnet is NOT the same thing as telnets
> and if you know that please feel free to advise me on what telnets actually
> is.   (I did find one thing that appears to be a commercial product but I’m
> hoping that isn’t what this is – other reading leads me to believe it
> isn’t.)
>

> To make things even more fun we’re running RHEL6 which provides both
> telnet-server (in.telnetd) and the krb5 telnet.    Both have config files
> in /etc/xinetd.d but I suspect it isn’t as simple as just trying to add a
> port to the xinetd.d file for one of those.
>

> We have a vendor that is saying they’ll need to configure this to do
> something with https interaction and I’m just trying to figure out what
> they’re on about before we actually have to do anything.
>

> Athena®, Created for the Cause™
>
> Making a Difference in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
>

> *How and Why I Should Support Bottled Water! *Do not relinquish your
> right to choose bottled water as a healthy alternative to beverages that
> contain sugar, calories, etc. Your support of bottled water will make a
> difference! Your signatures count! Go to
> http://www.bottledwatermatters.org/luv-bottledwater-iframe/dswaters and
> sign a petition to support your right to always choose bottled water. Help
> fight federal and state issues, such as bottle deposits (or taxes) and
> organizations that want to ban the sale of bottled water. Support community
> curbside recycling programs. Support bottled water as a healthy way to
> maintain proper hydration. Our goal is 50,000 signatures. Share this
> petition with your friends and family today!

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail may contain privileged or confidential
> [...]

James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*