[ale] EzCast vs Chromecast

JD jdp at algoloma.com
Fri Jan 10 19:13:24 EST 2014

Asked for and received a chromecast for Xmas. It doesn't do things that I
expected, like playing **any** youtube video. Over 50% of the youtube videos I
tried to play wouldn't. Pick any official Olympic 2012 video - won't play. Plus
controlling it locked up the current app on the Nexus4 phone about 20 times in 3
hrs of testing.

I knew there would be limitations, but I was surprised at home many things which
seemed "reasonable" but were possible.

I suppose if you are willing to run Chrome on a PC (not me), then anything the
browser can see, can be streamed. I wouldn't know.

For more gotchas ...
http://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/01/06/chromecast-what-good-is-it
a blog article. With google being nasty towards independent developers, that
turns the chromecast into a very specific device, for about 4 specific uses.

If I wanted a DLNA client and didn't already have a game console, then the WDTV
line is where I'd start.  I like to watch content from my network and don't want
to fight with some 3rd party to make that possible (Roku/Chromecast).