[ale] [slightly OT] Android Tablet mysteriously out of space

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Fri Feb 28 07:49:45 EST 2014

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet running all stock OS.   Not a
whole lot installed.

It recently has gotten slower and slower at getting email and the Wall
Street Journal.

A couple of days ago it threw up an alert about not enough space.

Sure enough, only 20mb left.

Funny thing is, there is no way the applications shown add up to 12gb.

So I stuffed in a 2gb SD card, moved some things to SD, cleared cache,
rebooted, etc.  Removed some apps I can live without.

Still only 480mb free.

So, I figure let's install one of those apps that gives a graphical DF
and figure out where all the space has gone.   I pick the first one,
which is 471KB, and when I install, it downloads, but when says "not
enough space to install".

I'm kinda stuck here.   Any thoughts before I get the extra strong
reading glasses and fire up the terminal emulator and start manually
doing df to figure out what happened?

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd