[ale] strange ssh

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 18:10:04 EST 2014

On a closed, private network segment, I've started seeing odd behavior
between 2 systems. ssh connections drop and a reconnect shows the "Wrong
host key - man in the middle attack" error.

*****The fingerprint it shows is the correct one for the host! *****

This failure bounced around through 3 machines yesterday and is now only
hitting a single cluster node. If I keep trying the ssh connection, I will
eventually connect correctly. It won't stay up longer than about 10 minutes.

I've done all the usual checks for security issues, file-system corruption
and network gremlins (yep - still there but not involved in this that I can
tell). I've reboot the affected systems (last ditch effort).

The last change to the environment was to join two switches, network A was
the affected network connection to network B, the IPMI network on a totally
different LAN segment (Thanks Dell for being too cheap for dedicated IPMI
ports).

I'm going to disconnect that last connection to see if it goes away. In the
meantime, any ideas?
James P. Kinney III

Every time you stop a school, you will have to build a jail. What you gain
It won't fatten the dog.
- Speech 11/23/1900 Mark Twain

*http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/
<http://heretothereideas.blogspot.com/>*