[ale] ASUS RT series routers

Lightner, Jeff JLightner at water.com
Wed Feb 26 14:10:11 EST 2014

The way DNS works ".asus.com followed by "/" means it is in fact going to asus.com (unless someone has been able to do DNS cache poisoning on the DNS server you're using).   That is to say everything above ".asus.com/" and below it would be the sign of a delegation from asus.com's DNS servers.

If on the other hand you saw something like "asus.com.etrk.net" or "etrkasus.com" then there is no guarantee it goes to asus.com and a lot of fake links do that - put a valid domain name in the middle of something else to make you think it is the valid domain.  In such a case the "real" domain you're hitting is etrk.net or etrkasus.com rather than asus.com.

What you posted is "valid" for asus.com (again assuming no issues in your own DNS lookups or hack AT asus.com)  Therefore I'd be inclined to trust the link you pasted as having come from Asus.

However, as noted you should probably verify the headers of the FULL email to make sure it came from the path you think it did.   Often it will show something like "alerts at asus.com" as the sender but when you look through the full headers you find it came from somewhere like john at unrelated_business.com and may even have hopped through other email accounts like "why_trust at yahoo.ccom".

One thing I do often see in bogus email is a link that does appear to be valid as shown but on being checked is NOT actually the link.  (That is they mask the real link embedded in the email with label that LOOKs like a link. )   Often hovering over the link shown will show you what the real link is - if they're the same well and good - if they differ then it is almost certainly bogus.  If you click on a link like the one you sent us and it does a redirect that often happens on web servers (legitimately).  If however it immediately launches another URL without first having gone to the URL (albeit briefly) you clicked it is probably a sign that the embedded link isn't what it looked like.