[ale] Dupe drive with slightly different capacity

Alex Carver agcarver+ale at acarver.net
Sat Feb 22 03:51:20 EST 2014

Ok, so I'll be moving in a month or two at which point I will finally be
able to pull my mail server out of its hard to reach hiding place and
swap out the dying drive for a replacement.  The new drive is identical
hardware but ever so slightly different in capacity.

My original plan was going to be to simply blast the contents of the
problem drive onto the replacement with dd (booting to single user mode
first) then pull the old one out.  But, if I wanted to go through with a
clone that would let me use a bigger drive for the data, what's the most
straightforward way to accomplish that?  The system has only one drive
with two partitions, root and swap.  Swap would probably stay the same
and root should just grow to fill the rest of the drive.