[ale] backup/restore mail from USB external drive

Jeff Hubbs jhubbslist at att.net
Thu Feb 13 13:12:02 EST 2014

Because the probability of having an unrecoverable read error on RAID5
rebuild starts to come up off the peg and RAID6 isn't much better.

Since they came on the market, I've found that NASses both cheap (e.g.,
LaCie) and expensive (IBM-rebadged NetApp where you paid extra by the
protocol) aren't worth spit.  Sure, they work (sort of - I got a LaCie
guy to admit to me once that their NFS implementation was badly broken
but they didn't really care), but the sorts of things you may expect to
do administratively, like make fast copies internally, scan for viruses,
or search for files (for instance, because someone had an errant mouse
drag that moved their quarterly report spreadsheets to God-knows-where)
are ruinously slow.  To give you some idea, I once replaced said
rebadged NetApp - that cost about $40,000 - with a SuperMicro-based
Gentoo Linux file server with a mix of SAS and SATA drives in 24 slots
in the front, two SSDs inside, two SAS controllers (with RAID10 with the
RAID1 pairs split across controllers so a controller would die and you
still wouldn't lose the volume), and two four-core CPUs.  All that plus
a warm-swap machine, spare mobo, spare CPUs, power supplies, NICs, disk
controllers, and RAM (to heck with waiting for some schmoe from e.g.
IBM's field service contractor to find your site and replace parts in a
machine he might have never seen before anyway) cost about $25K, and it
could scan its main shared-space volume with clamav at over 200MiB/s.
In-slot NICs were bonded for I/O (the on-mobo NICs were not used in
order to reduce the risk to the mobo).  It was NFSv3-ready, had Samba of
course, and daemons for anonymous chrooted FTP and rsync - and there was
talk at one time of having it serve out CVS (it'd might as well!).

So when you talk to me about what RAID configuration I'd recommend for
12x2TB drives in a NAS, I'm thinking of the operational risks you've
baked into your IT resources just by having a NAS in the first place and
wondering whether or not RAID nuances would matter all that much at the
end of the day.  Ask yourself this:  even if it were just half full, how
long would it take you to do a complete read for backup-making
purposes?  See, in this day and age, it's real easy to have giant
amounts of storage and therefore giant amounts of stuff being stored,
all connected to everything else by what are very tiny pipes, relatively
speaking.