[ale] backup/restore mail from USB external drive

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Thu Feb 13 10:48:22 EST 2014

It happened to me twice in the past 7 months on the same server. Two
disk failed w/i 48 hours of each other twice.

PS: In the past year, I've also had the HD controllers fail on both of
our front end mail servers on the same day. And one time a fan in the
server room flew apart and one of the blades cut the power line to the
server rack.

On 02/13/14 07:18, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> RAID5 having 2 failures is not theory - it happens and the larger the drives the longer it takes to rebuild increasing the risk.  I've seen such failures on more than one occasion.
>
> I've yet to see 3 disks fail before a rebuild completes in either a RAID6 or RAID10 setup.   I agree that RAID10 if available is much better from a performance standpoint.
>
> We have several RAID6 sets with 2 TB SATA drives in our Hitachi array and the rebuild time for such drives is several hours which is why they're in RAID6.   The performance is good because the array itself has significant amount of cache.
>
> Jeffrey C. Lightner
> Sr. UNIX Administrator
>
> DS Waters of America, Inc.
> 5660 New Northside Drive NW