[ale] backup/restore mail from USB external drive

John Heim john at johnheim.com
Thu Feb 13 10:38:21 EST 2014

On 02/12/14 17:37, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On 2/12/14, 5:00 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>> You really should be using RAID6 or RAID10 rather than RAID5 as it is
>> even more redundant (i.e. can survive 2 disks failures).
>>
> And you shouldn't be using RAID5 or RAID6 at all if your drives are
> 750-1000GB or larger.

Our disks are 600Gb.

Is there any advantage to using the PERC to create 2 virtual disks from
the RAID array? Or should I partition it in the OS? Right now, the PERC
is configured with one virtual disk for the operating system and another
for the mail. But I could make one big virtual disk out of  the 5
physical disks which would show up as a 2Tb /dev/sda. Then I could use
the installer to partition it.
to partition it.

--
John Heim